From the desk of Andrew Lockwood, J.D.
Long Island, New York
Dear Fellow Parent:
This site is for parents of college-bound teens, who are uptight, stressed and confused about:
- Paying for college, scholarships and financial aid
- Finding a “good fit” college
- Getting into college
- Avoiding crushing student debt
- Choosing a major that will lead to a satisfying and lucrative career, instead of welcoming your college grad home to the basement in between shifts making coffee drinks that nobody can pronounce
If this feels all too familiar to you, I’ve written a new, special report especially for you, The College Consumer Guide – a brief, “101-level” introduction to how college admissions REALLY works (hint: much different than what your guidance counselor may have told you) and the truth about how to get scholarships and financial aid, even if you think you can’t possibly qualify for anything.
WARNING! I’m dead sure that…
What I have to say is likely the complete opposite of the advice you’ve gotten from “experts” like guidance counselors, accountants and your “financial guy.” And I have the hate mail to prove it!
My name is Andy Lockwood, I’m a college financial aid and admissions consultant. My partner, Pearl Chizner Lockwood (we’re married, the last name isn’t a coincidence) and I help parents and coach kids through the college financial aid, scholarship, college selection, college essays etc. etc. etc. process.
Some families start with us as early as 9th grade, some in 12th and most in-between.
However, you won’t find any weird, coercive sales pitch on this site or in anything we say or do, because we have learned over the years that our approach is definitely NOT right for everyone. Here are a few examples, off the top of my head:
- You may have saved in the “wrong” places (as far as the financial aid formulas are concerned) even though your CPA or (commissioned) financial advisor told you where to stash your hard-earned cash
- If you’re a business owner, you may be unaware of often overlooked, unique, legal and ethical income tax and financial aid “loopholes” that could save you thousands per year
- You may think “People like us don’t qualify for anything” even though most aid goes to families earning six figure incomes (I know that sounds strange)
- There’s a strong likelihood that you are looking at the wrong colleges if you care about scholarships and grants
- Your kid may not doing the right things necessary to get into his dream college, especially when you consider that he is competing with 5,000-20,000 other applicants at any given college with virtually the same grades and standardized test scores
- You may be ignoring the sleeping elephant in the room: the “Next 40” years of your child’s life. Sometimes the same old “Rear Window Sticker” colleges and popular majors turn out to be bad choices for kids who unthinkingly select them when you look at how well they prepare their graduates for life after college
- You are blissfully unaware of disturbing statistics facing today’s college graduates: 46% of grads are not employed in a field that requires a college degree…TWO YEARS after graduating…and only 33% of college students manage to graduate in four years!
- You don’t have any sense of humor. In fact, you prefer to be stressed about the college process 🙂
We talk about all of these topics on our free, live college planning “secrets” webinars. Here’s where you can view our upcoming schedule:
My $100,000 Fail
Pearl and I have worked with families with college-bound children for more than 15 years to help them avoid the stress and emotional pain I went through, when I racked up $100,000 plus in debt, between college and law school. We now have four kids and have sworn a blood oath that none of them will go through anything remotely like what I endured.
That’s why we founded our college advisory practice, and why I wrote my first book, How to Pay “Wholesale” for College – to help “Forgotten Middle Class” beat colleges at their own game. Even though it made #1 best seller status, I’m giving it away – you can download it for free – no strings attached – see the top of this page.
There’s a bunch of other free information on this site that my interest you, including details about our financial aid forms preparation service , The College Success For Less Toolkit, our proprietary system on how to multiply chances of admission and triple your eligibility for grants and scholarships, and our show, College Talk Tuesday.
Whatever you choose to do next, I sincerely hope you find our information valuable and easy to understand – thanks for giving us the old “college try!”
P.S. “The old college try.” Funny.
P.P.S. If you are interested in speaking to us about our college coaching, financial aid forms prep, ACT or SAT tutoring or hosting a college planning “secrets” workshop at your PTA/PTO, etc., please contact us at 516-882-5464 or email VIP@andylockwood.com. Please allow up to five business days for response, inquiries are handled first-come, first-served.
We have given presentations at libraries and PTAs in Greenlawn, Huntington, Garden City, Roslyn, Jericho, Syosset, Wantagh, Merrick, Hewlett, Bellmore, Massapequa, Smithtown, Northport, Commack, Glen Head, Glen Cove, Bronx Science HS, Riverhead, Avon CT, Mystic CT and many other locations.
Andrew Lockwood, J.D.
Lockwood College Prep